Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation – Non-Executive Director
The Nominating Committee is seeking to identify applicants to nominate to the Minister for appointment as a Board member in the last quarter of 2023.
The Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation (Guardians) is an autonomous Crown entity entrusted with the management and investment of a significant pool of funds held by the New Zealand Superannuation Fund. The Guardians’ purpose is “sustainable investments delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders”. Future withdrawals from the Fund will be used by the Crown to offset the increasing cost of universal superannuation in New Zealand. Since 2003, the value of the Fund has grown to NZ$65.4 billion (as of June 2023). It was named by Global SWF as the top performing sovereign investor globally over the last 10 years.
In 2019, the Guardians were entrusted with an additional mandate, the Elevate NZ Venture Fund which supports development of NZ’s early-stage growth companies and venture capital ecosystem.
The Nominating Committee is seeking to identify applicants to nominate to the Minister for appointment as a Board member in the last quarter of 2023. Applicants must bring:
As primary attributes:
- Deep governance experience indicating ability to undertake an oversight role in a complex environment. Prior experience as Board Chair or Chair of Board Committee would be preferred.
- Financial experience preferably in an investment or asset management environment.
And in addition:
- Substantive and proven people leadership skills in a governance setting.
- Familiarity with and experience in managing public sector or government relations.
- A demonstrable long-term fiduciary mind-set.
- A global perspective and experience in the changing nature and dynamics of investments and markets.
- Proven commercial acumen
Ideally the new Board Member will bring: Diversity of Perspective reflecting Aotearoa/New Zealand’s bi-cultural society: Iwi background or experience working with iwi.
- Experience in leading or governing in a transformational enterprise setting.
- An appreciation of direct investments and their governance.
- Contemporary understanding of the role and application of technology in the investment environment with appreciation of IT and Cybersecurity oversight responsibility at Board level.
This is a high-profile Board with a high level of Parliamentary and media scrutiny. The new Board Member must have the gravitas and personal presence to represent the Guardians in New Zealand and internationally. They will be a strategic thinker who is intellectually curious and an active “life-long learner”. A collaborative and constructive Board Member, they will contribute to informed and productive debate in the boardroom.
Candidates are invited to send a cover letter and CV to [email protected]. All responses to Johnson Partners are confidential and will be acknowledged by email.
Expressions of Interest for this role close on Monday 9th October 2023.